Today, we answer the age old question… what is the difference between a charter and a magnet school?
There are three major differences:
- The enrollment process.
- Charter schools use a lottery system.
- Magnet schools regulate who attends the school.
- Who operates the school.
- Charter schools are operated by independent governing bodies, companies or nonprofits.
- Magnet schools are operated by the local district.
- The curriculum taught in each school.
- Charter schools are held to same standards as traditional district schools.
- Magnet schools curriculum is determined by theme of the school (STEM*, CTE**, Fine Arts, etc.)
*Science, Technology, Engineering and Math